Friday, July 12, 2013

Make Your Own Almond Milk!

Goodbye hormone and antibiotic filled milk!  I must admit I have never tried almond milk.  I grew up around a lot of farms where the cows were grazed everyday on a pasture, they procreated on their own and the milk is amazing!  It really is like no other.  Which then makes me wonder why does the milk taste so different everywhere else?  I moved away from home when I was 18 and have never moved back.  I visit quite often and drink as much milk as I can while there.  The first thing that really drove this home (how milk tasted elsewhere) was my boyfriend.  My boyfriend grew up as lactose intolerant.  While we were back home he tried chocolate milk (as I complain about the gross stuff that passes here in Quebec).  Not only did he like it, it did not bother him at all!  Since then I stopped drinking milk in a big glass and now limit it to cooking and coffee.   Not only is this the first time I'm trying almond milk it is the first time making it!  Check out he recipe after the break.



Get recipe




What you will need:
Food Processor
Cheesecloth
Mason Jar or sealable conatiner
2 tablespoons - Honey
2 1/2 teaspoons - Vanilla
4 - Cups Water
1 Cup - Natural Almonds (not roasted or salted!!!)

Directions:
Place almonds in a jar with enough water to cover all the almonds by about an inch.
Let almonds sit, covered overnight.  This will help your food processor do most of the work.
Remove almonds from jar and strain and rinse them off.

This is a little too much water but the general idea. (Picture found on Google.)

Take your almonds and place them in the food processor along with the 4 cups of water.
Run your food processor on high for 1 minute.  There will still be some small chunks left.
Take your blended mixture and strain through a nut bag or cheesecloth into a new container.  Squeeze as much liquid out as possible.
Take your liquid and put it back in the blender (make sure there is no debris) mix in your honey and vanilla.
Blend this all together in food processor for 30 seconds.
That's it!  It will stay good in your fridge for up to 4 days.










No comments:

Post a Comment