Wednesday, July 10, 2013

DIY, All Natural Flea and Tick Control For Dogs And Cats 3 Easy Steps

I just wanted to share my project of the day.  I have two pets 1 dog George and 1 cat Rummy.  WIth Summer in full swing many people are dealing with fleas and ticks waging war with our best little friends.  This morning I woke up and noticed a tiny bug on George's belly... a flea! Neither pet has been scratching and I myself have not received any bites.. yet.  The medication from the vets office makes both pets 'off' and not feeling well.  So I decided to do some research, get hands on and tackle this with my new green living attitude.
I found some wonderful blogs online regarding natural ways to combat fleas, so I combined a few together and decided to share  my concoction with you.  There are three steps and two recipes to end the flea invasion.  I have tried these today and so far I have seen some great results.

George the English Bulldog and Rummy the Blue Mitted Ragdoll cat.
(get recipes and steps after the break!)



Meet Fresh Rosemary... Your New Best Friend!
** Update***
I also used a flea comb just to get the fleas off the pet prior to the spray!
Comb the pet with the flea and put the fleas in a bowl of soapy water.


There are a few natural methods to provide relief to your poor pets. However not every method that is acceptable for a dog is acceptable for a cat.  These recipes provided are for both cats and dogs.

The first thing to make is,
A spray 

Ingredients:
1/8 of a cup of rosemary (fresh)
2 cups of water
3 drops of peppermint oil (optional)


Directions:
Place the 2 cups of water in a pot and place it on the stove.
add the 1/8 cup of rosemary ( I used a 1/4).
Let boil for half an hour.
Remove from heat.
Let the mixture cool down.
Strain the mixture to get just the liquid.
Put liquid in a spray bottle.

This should be applied once to twice a week all over the pet.
To make sure it gets completely rubbed in, combing or brushing the animal will help accomplish this.

This is what it will look like once finished! (excuse the mess on my counter!)


Flea and Tick shampoo rinse

Ingredients:
6 fresh lemons (depending on size)
About 1 cup sea salt (I use koser salt)
A small portion of their regular shampoo
Water - fill bathtub to desired amount (not too much or will be too diluted)

Before you start anything I suggest you start with this step (after combing).  Fleas do not do well in water, especially soapy water.  Put your pet in the bathtub that has the ingredients listed above.  Scrub your pet and really make sure everything is wet and soapy you should see some fleas fall off of your pet. Make sure to rinse all of the mixture off your pet.  

The Rinse!
This step is important.  Once you have washed your pet empty out the water from the tub.  While the pet is still in the bathtub pour this rinse all over them.  Watching the eyes and ears to make sure there is no irritation. Let your pet air dry inside if possible. You want everything to absorb all over the pet.  

Ingredients:
4 liters of water
2 cups of kosher salt or sea salt
2 cups of rosemary (2 packages of fresh rosemary from grocery store)
4 fresh lemons.
2 drops of peppermint oil

Directions:
Place water, rosemary and salt together in a pot.
Let boil for half an hour - 45 minutes.
Let cool down.
Strain the mixture for just the liquid.
Once you have washed your pet with the shampoo pour this mixture over the pet really rubbing it in.
Let air dry.
Avoid coming in contact with a flea for 12 hours (playing outside).

Rummy is much different.  His fur is extremely soft.. yet dense, very, very dense.  A bath is not really an option when it comes to rummy so he gets a little different treatment.  Rummy is going to be shaved down tonight with clippers.  Since it is 30 degrees celsius I don't feel so bad as he feels hot all the time anyway. 
Once Rummy is clipped I am going to take some of the 'rinse' that is left over and soak a towel with it.  I am planning on wrapping rummy in the towel as opposed to putting him in the sink or bathtub.  I will keep you updated however I have already witnessed results from the fleas jumping off during the bath and spray!







No comments:

Post a Comment